This is my latest result, though. It's kind of interesting. I made just a plain unscented batch of soap and popped it in the oven. After checking it numerous times, I thought this batch just wasn't going to gel so I took it out. This morning I sliced it up and this is what I found. What a weird swirly pattern. I wonder how that happened.
It turned out just slightly darker than the first test. I was surprised to find that it had only partially gelled. And here I was worried that it was going to overheat! You can't see it very well in the photo, though. On a side note, I really like the texture I got on the top from the whisk.
Hopefully, one more test will do it. I'll insulate it a little better next time and hope for the best.
More to come soon - I'm keeping very busying soaping!