It's been a little while since I've posted anything. There are a couple of new test batches that I have taken out of the mold and sliced. First, is the second version of the Honey Oatmeal. This time I used a fragrance oil. It definitely made the soap turn out darker! I can't say that I don't like it though.
It's just not what I expected. The fragrance is more spicy than I was looking for. In the end, I think I'm going to have to go with two different honey soaps. One will be this, Oatmeal Milk and Honey. It has soy milk, honey, ground oatmeal, and the fragrance oil. The other will just be Honey Oat. It will not have any milk in it, but it will have honey and ground oatmeal. I've got two different honey fragrances on order to test. So, we'll see how it goes.
This is my second try at Green Tea. I used more french green clay than last time. It turned out darker, but I like the lighter color better. Also, I used less tea leaves. I like the look better, but it still drags through as I cut it. I even waited an extra day before slicing it this time.
I guess I'll have to keep trying for a solution to that one. This time I had also used a fragrance oil instead of essential oils. I had a hard time making a decision. I love the smell of lemon eucalyptus and I think it suits a tea soap well. But, I think the green tea fragrance oil does the job better. I'll just have to come up with another soap for the lemon eucalyptus oil.
Next, I decided to get really experimental. My husband loves the soda Moxie. And, it's made here in Maine. So, I thought - why not! Let's give it a try. I prepared it just like I have been preparing the beer for my beer soap. I let it go flat and then boiled it. After it cooled, I added water to bring it back to the original volume. Then, I used that as the liquid in my lye solution. I had absolutely no expectations for this one. I wasn't sure what I was going to get because of all the extra ingredients in the soda. Amazingly, it turned out pretty good! I left it un-insulated because I didn't know how hot it was going to get. It got pretty hot. It even gelled most of the way through on its own! The light color is just from the wire catching when I cut it. It was a little softer than I normally slice my soap. It just needed to sit a little longer. Surprisingly, some of the spicy scent of the Moxie stuck through. I didn't play around with scents this time. Too many variables at once, I thought. I think I have a good idea about the combination of scents I need, though. I've got to wait and see how it stands the test of time for now. I'm excited about it, though. It would be a pretty cool soap to have in my shop. I need to find out more information about the copyright matter first.
Finally, I couldn't help myself, I made another basic recipe to try. It's just a different ratio of the same classic trio I already use - coconut oil, olive oil, and palm oil. I got carried away with testing too many things at once again. I tried heating the mold before pouring to made sure it gelled completely. Good idea, but it overheated. I guess I'll have to try this one again like normal.
I've kind of reached a lull for a little while. Some of the ingredients I need to keep testing have not arrived yet. In the next week or so, I'll start making my 3 pound batches to sell. After they're made, they'll be ready in 4-6 weeks. I'm hoping for a late October/ early November grand re-opening.
A little insight to my soap making adventures!